[IPython-dev] Fwd: [TIP] py.test 1.0 release / remarks

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 23:07:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Gael
Varoquaux<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Well, with the discover module going in the standard library, I have been
> wondering if we could do with only the standard library. Most of what
> nose adds to test discovery (and nice assertion) has prooved to be too
> much magic, and has bitten me in the past.

I'd certainly *love* to ditch third-party dependencies for something
as basic as testing.  We'll have to wait still a while to see where
that goes, but I do think that flexible, robust, full testing should
be part of the stdlib, and I see the current need for third-party
tools like nose or py.test as a serious deficiency.

I recently wrote up my personal  list of  'warts' in python for
scientific computing work,  and this very problem was right there:

https://cirl.berkeley.edu/fperez/py4science/warts.html

So here's to hoping that they solve it :)