[IPython-dev] [Enthought-Dev] PySide to replace PyQt?

Sebastian Wiesner basti.wiesner at gmx.net
Thu Aug 27 16:02:41 EDT 2009

At Thursday 27 August 2009 21:03:31
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM, David Warde-Farley<dwf at cs.toronto.edu>
wrote:
> > Indeed, though with the amount of manpower they're dedicating to the
> > PySide effort, I don't imagine it will be long.
>
> And in any case, it will have PyQt-compatible API - so starting to
> leverage PyQt "for real" is not out of place even now, even if you
> didn't dig the license earlier.

As a matter of fact, its API isn't API-compatible to PyQt4:  static methods
have different names due to restrictions in boost.python.  It also doesn't seem
to support any of the things introduced as of PyQt 4.5 (new signal-slot API,
implicit QVariant conversion).

Moreover, PyQt-compatibility isn't guaranteed for future releases of PySide.
The roadmap [1] says:

> In the future, PySide API may be modified to better support more Pythonic
> constructs and interfaces. This may break PyQt4 compatibility, and therefore
> community participation and acceptance is crucial.

For my part, I'm not really convinced, that this whole thing is going to be a
success story.

[1] http://www.pyside.org/roadmap/

                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)