[IPython-dev] Status of IPython+GUI+Threads+PyOS_InputHook

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 13:09:05 EST 2009

> I am not using any thread in the wx GUI. This was a very important design
> choice, IMHO. I am fiddling a lot with the mainloop to keep as much a
> possible the terminal reactive when a computation is going on, but there
> are no threads (except when a subprocess is used, but I was very careful
> to make them play well with the mainloop).

Because we are likely moving in this direction, I want to understand
this better.  What do you mean by "fiddling with the mainloop?"  Is
this "fiddling" optional?  If it causes bugs in your GUI (is this what
you are saying?) why do you do it?  You imply that the terminal was
not responsive until you did this extra stuff.  Can you say a bit
more?  Hopefully, this will enable us to better support the usage case
that you have!

Cheers,

Brian