[IPython-dev] ctrl+c in gui, event loops, sure i'm missing something...

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Feb 12 11:09:10 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:22:46PM +0200, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> > The second problem is that the code allowing to have ipython0 features is
> > a hack that is incompatible with out-of-process execution. Briefly, you
> > need to share the namespace of the two engine (the ipython0 and the
> > ipython1) to get magics and code completion. The clean way out of this is

> Why is that, really? If code completion happens at backend, there is
> nothing apart from a list of strings that frontend needs to know (and
> it only needs to tell backend about the string that is to be
> completed). Magics, otoh, are just a backend issue that frontend
> doesn't need to know about...

In theory yes. But because all the cool feature of ipython0 couldn't be
abstracted from ipython0, I had to instanciate an ipython0 instance, and
feed it the namespace of the ipython1 engine. There needs to be a huge
refactoring of ipython0, right now it is a tangle of objects calling each
other, heavily coupled.

Gaël