[IPython-dev] ctrl+c in gui, event loops, sure i'm missing something...

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:15:43 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pros:
>
> - No stdout/stdin redirection/capture code in frontend. It's just
> normal pipe handling.
> - Can be done as a library (no changes needed for ipython core)

Here's a concrete action plan:

- Implement something like ipy_server or ipy_vimserver that uses
stdin, stdout+stderr for communication.
- stdin is the "control channel" that gives commands that get executed
with ip.runlines. It may read pickles, or whatever.
- If the command coming from stdin is not "run this block"
(concretely, "complete" would be one such command), the response will
be written to stderr. Otherwise,
stdout and stderr will behave normally (i.e. stderr can contain both
control channel replies and normal stderr stuff).
- Try how well it works with qt ui (because that's the simplest to
hack for me). it still doesn't have proper stdin handling (unlike
Gaels ui), but that's not a dealbreaker yet. I can do stdin by some
quick hack first as a proof of concept.
- Report back if/when I have real code.

--
Ville M. Vainio