[IPython-dev] Using pygments for coloring in IPython

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 15:59:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:

> I might want to be helpful at some point during the improvement of ipython.
> However, I usually get easily lost in the sources. Do you have any plans for
> making a tutorial or giving a talk about the development details of the
> ipython. There are lots of presentations regarding to the usage. It would be
> nice to a good starting point for the novices like me to see where to get
> started first.

IPython source is just a big pile of details, so there is not much
"architectural complexity" to think about. Just read through iplib.py,
and you'll be fine.

Back in the day I wrote an extension to use pygments for coloring
through monkeypatching, and it wasn't too much code - unfortunately
I've lost the code (probably abandoned the idea because e.g. it
couldn't colorize tracebacks without writing a new tokenizer, and it
was just a quick hack).

pygments does yield better colorizing for e.g. pycat.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio