[IPython-dev] how to contribute to ipython

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Wed Jul 15 19:44:35 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ondrej,
>
> I did see your patch when you posted it.  Most of us have been on an IPython
> vacation for a variety of reasons.  But, this week, we are getting back to
> things.  Sorry about the silence.
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the way to send patches to ipython? I read this:
>>
>> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Developer_Zone/Developer_Guidelines
>
> This is quite outdated.  A more recent description is:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/nightly/html/development/overview.html
>
> But, this is a little out of date compared to how it really happens these
> days.
>
> Here is the bottom line on how to contribute to IPython:
>
> 1.  Post a bzr branch on launchpad with your changes.
> 2.  Request a merge/review into trunk launchpad.  This will trigger the
> review process and get the code into trunk.

Many thanks. So here is what I did. I registered a branch set_trace, then I did:

$ bzr launchpad-login ondrej-certik

and setup my ssh keys. Then I did:

$ bzr push lp:~ipython-dev/ipython/set_trace
bzr: ERROR: Target directory lp:~ipython-dev/ipython/set_trace already
exists, but does not have a valid .bzr directory. Supply
--use-existing-dir to push there anyway.

so I tried the --use-existing-dir options, is that the correct way?

$ bzr push --use-existing-dir  lp:~ipython-dev/ipython/set_trace
Using default stacking branch /~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk at
bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eipython-dev/ipython/
Created new branch.

then I went to the web address of the branch:

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/set_trace

and clicked "Propose for merging into another branch":

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/set_trace/+merge/8855

let me know if I did things correctly.

If I want to checkout the trunk branch instead (e.g. without my
commit), how do I do that? E.g. the equivalent of:

git checkout master
git checkout my_branch

looking here:

http://www.taoeffect.com/blog/2009/06/using-bazaar-like-git-repoalias-plugin/

it's seems pretty complex. I am new to bzr, so I might be doing things
the wrong way.

Ondrej