[IPython-dev] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Jul 16 13:41:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:38:56AM -0700, Brian Granger wrote:
>    But, at some point, we will have to say "if you want the old threaded
>    shells, you will have to use an older version of IPython".  We just have
>    to figure out what the transition looks like.

As long as the packages sitting outside of IPython have a way of dealing
with both reasonnably easily that fine. What we don't want to happen is
having confusing errors or instructions depending on the version of
IPython people use.

As Michael points out, there will be people using the old model for a
long time.

Gaël