[IPython-dev] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:45:04 EDT 2009

Good question Gael,

> So, ... I am dumb, and I haven't been following things well enough (not
> enough time). Concretely, what do I need to do to be able to launch
> IPython, and pop up a wx dialog not blocking IPython with the new
> technology?

If you have a patched version of wx (that Robin and I are working on) you
just do the following (from either ipython or python!):

>>> import wx
>>> app = wx.IApp(clearSigInt=False)  # for interactive app
then you are off to the races (you don't even need to start the mainloop)

With current versions of mpl, you can do:

>>> import wx
>>> app = wx.IApp(clearSigInt=False)
>>> from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
>>> plt.interactive(True)
the everything just works...

Obviously, the creation of the IApp object should be put into the GUI
toolkit initialization code in mpl/mayavi/etc.  I will work with Robin to
get a version of wx posted that has the patched applied so people can begin
to test this.

Cheers,

Brian