[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] IPython proposal: getting rid of "ipython -pylab\-wthread\etc."

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:06:24 EDT 2009

This is a great project and I'm sure we're all looking forward to having
> "just one way to do it".
>
> However, do not overestimate how up-to-date these packages will be,
> particularly in managed environments.  For instance the RHEL4 boxes we run
> at my employer still have pygtk 2.4.  (Yes, that is 4 years old!)  It would
> be unfortunate if our users couldn't update matplotlib without the pain of
> recompiling a large part of the gtk stack underneath.

I am fully aware that some environments upgrade things like GUI toolkits
over very long time scales.  More important - there isn't a released version
of wx that has these capabilities in it.  It will be a long time before
everyone is running the needed versions of wx/gtk/qt.  In the meantime, we
will do everything we can to make sure that people running older versions of
GUI toolkits can continue to use IPython (and mpl).

On the mpl side of things, there will probably have to be some changes to
the GUI toolkit initialization code that detects which way things are being
run (old/new) and then does the right thing.  If we coordinate this well,
that should allow newer versions of mpl to work with both new and old
versions of IPython and the GUI toolkits.  However *at some point*, we will
have to make a clean break.

> So just a plea to keep the old code paths working -- perhaps surrounded in
> big flashing "REMOVE ME LATER" comments.  I understand that maintaining code
> that fewer and fewer users will be running is like a time bomb.

This is especially true of the threaded Shells in IPython.  Honestly, even
with thousands of people using it (as is currently the case) it is a time
bomb.

> Maybe we could raise a deprecation warning if a user has an old version of
> a toolkit, so at least when the bomb finally goes off the user has a first
> guess as to why.  But I think dropping all support for these older versions
> in one step would be a mistake.

Yes, there will definitely have to be some sort of transition.  One
possibility is that during the transition, the old threaded Shells would
slowly loose features that become impossible to maintain (such as interrupt
handling in the threaded shells).

With our very limited IPython manpower, we have a very fine line to walk
between moving forward and maintaining backwards compatibility.

Cheers,

Brian