[IPython-dev] Configuration system thoughts

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 05:15:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> IPython.  Some attributes (like autocall) can be changed by modifying IP.rc
> at runtime and other's (the prompts) can't.  What I mean by "can't" is that
> you can change IP.rc, but IPython's behavior won't change.  An example of
> this is that to get the prompts to change at runtime you need to  hack into
> IP.outputcache.prompt1.  In other cases (like autocall), the relevant
> IPython code always looks at IP.rc.autocall, so if it is changed, IPython's
> behavior changes.

Many of these problems could be fixed by fixing stuff like prompts to
actually look at the config variable every time. Since it needs some
"computation" every time, you can remember the value of previous
invocation and do the calculation only if it has changed.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio