[IPython-dev] How to handle extensions

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 12:51:55 EDT 2009

> > I would really hope that packages wouldn't do that. Even if I have
> > the package,
> > I may not want their extensions.
>
> +1. Two things:
>
> a) I might not have any use for their package interactively, in which
> case it has the potential to slow down IPython for me if it's always
> the interactive prompt).
> b) Even if I do use their package interactively, their extensions may
> not fit my brain.

Yes, the the loading of extensions should always be in the control of the
user.
Another way of saying this is that an IPython extension should be loaded
only
if one of the following happens:

* It is listed in the extensions list of the config file.
* The user calls %load_ext to load it.

The only case that is different is in the case of something like isympy,
which is a custom version of ipython that loads various things needed
by sympy.  But in that case, it is a *different program* that is being run.

Cheers,

Brian