[IPython-dev] Before a patch for LSF support

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:11:30 EDT 2009

Hi Brian!

2009/10/30 Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com>:
> Matthieu,
>
> I have spent the last month completely refactoring ipcluster.  This work
> should make it easier to add support for LSF.  This work should be merged
> into trunk in the next few weeks.

Excellent piece of news! I hope I'll be able to have a proper Internet
access then (I've moved ino another flat, but my Internet provider is
kind of sloppy...) to update my modifications and send the appropriate
patch.

 But, I think you are facing some unique
> issues described below...

Indeed, it's mainly because I want to test my futur patch properly :|

> When is this an issue?  When finding the .ipython directory?  When importing
> ipython (PYTHONPATH)?  I think this one can be solved without making any
> changes
> to IPython, but if we need to we can.

When finding the .ipython folder for the furl file. It's not in the
$HOME folder of the nodes, but in the $HOME folder of the controller.
Fo the moment, I copy the furl file on the fly, but this isn't a
viable approach :|

> Ahh, yes, this type of thing can be subtle to get working - especially on
> clusters with multiple
> tcp/ip interfaces.  With my refactored work, these things can easily be
> configured.  There are two things to look at:
>
> --engine-ip = set's the ip address (or hostname) that the controller will
> listen on.  Default is probably fine.
> --engine-location = set's the ip address (or hostname) that will appear in
> the furl.  This is the ip address that
> the engine will try to connect on.  I would try changing this one.

OK, I'll test this.

>> I hope I summed up my issue properly.
>
> Yes, with all the changes going on in trunk, this might take a while to get
> figured out, but I think it is doable.

I hope I'll be able to find the time to figure it out (and the
Internet access as well :|)

Cheers,

Matthieu
--