[IPython-dev] Musings: syntax for high-level expression of parallel (and other) execution control

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:53:01 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> I admit though: this is so trivial, and already in the language, that
> maybe I am indeed happy about nothing :)  So I really appreciate the
> feedback, especially critical one!  If this is pointless, might as
> well kill it before wasting anyone's time with it, so please *do* be
> critical of this.

Imo, it is a capital mistake to second-guess or prematurely criticize
excitement and invention.  There are plenty of inventions that can be
simulated by other constructs, but that doesn't make the inventions
useless.  Using decorators rather than functions is a change of view, and it
is most unwise to underestimate the potential of a change in view.

For example, Einstein did not invent the Lorentz transformation, he "merely"
created a new point of view in which the transformations were something
other than a mathematical hack to make c be constant in all reference
frames.

Also, it is in no way an abuse of decorators to use them in unexpected,
unusual, creative ways, provided only that you are not relying on some
undocumented accidental feature.

Edward
Edward K. Ream email: edreamleo at gmail.com