[IPython-dev] Musings: syntax for high-level expression of parallel (and other) execution control

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Sun Sep 6 10:31:19 EDT 2009

Darren Dale wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Darren Dale<dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The Kamaelia project (http://www.kamaelia.org) is also very interesting for
>>> its use of generators, microprocesses, components and very specifically
>>> concurrency.  They have a very neat model for exactly this and a nice though
>>> slightly elaborate tutorial showing how you can build their core library
>>> from these ideas.  If you have the time it is very interesting.
>>>
>>> My humble contribution to spending two more hours of your time. ;-)
>> Thanks for the pointer. The Pipeline and Graphline reminds me of
>> LabView, or rather how I would prefer to develop labview-like
>> applications in python.

Indeed.  The only problem when I looked at the architecture a while ago
was that it wasn't suitable for VTK pipelines.  I don't recall the
details of why I felt that way now though.

>> I had to look in the older document structure to find a discussion on
>> concurrency, here it is for anyone who is interested:
>> http://www.kamaelia.org/Docs/Axon/Axon.Microprocess.html
>
> They talk a lot about microprocesses, and in this pdf (1) they mention
> multi-core computers, but I think their terminology unfortunately
> confuses processes with threads. From the looks of their trunk, they
> are using the threading package for "concurrency". They are aware of
> the GIL, however (2).

I had looked at this a long while ago when trying to come up with a nice
way to build pipelines in general.  At the time they didn't have
anything for actually using multiple processors or threads but the ideas
were very interesting to me especially their use of generators.

cheers,
prabhu