[IPython-dev] New GUI integration in IPython

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 11:22:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Gokhan,
>
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > 1-) No more auto explicit numpy.core and matplotlib.pyplot load into the
> > visible namespace right? This was a handy functionality to make quick
> tests,
> > without a need for imports. I am sure this could be remedied putting
> proper
> > statements somewhere into the config file, however with the switches
> removed
> > how to instantiate IPython telling that I want matplotlib and numpy
> > functionality in my shell.
> >
> > 2-) No thread options gone, each time we issue a plot directive, a show()
> > must be explicitly stated. I will miss this lazy way of programming :)
>
> No, when the dust settles, we'll have an interactive -pylab mode that
> will work just like today, except without the mysterious
> Ctrl-C-related crashes that are so easy to induce today with Wx.  It's
> just that we are in the middle of major changes, and not all the
> pieces have landed yet.
>
> > 3-) What are the visible ad[dis]vantages of these changes to a simple
> user
> > :) Those who don't integrate Ipython into a GUI application and changing
> > backends very frequently.
>
> - That Ctrl-C will actually do something sensible, without potentially
> exploding in your face depending on the timing of your input regarding
> what the GUI was doing.
>
> - That tab-completion with Mayavi running should be less potentially
> problematic.  There may still be attribute access bugs in the VTK
> wrapping, but at least bugs in python's readline module that are
> thread-related (we've been hit by that in the past) won't affect us
> anymore.
>
> - That you will be able to switch between Wx/GTK/Qt at runtime.  I can
> imagine this being very useful for certain testing patterns.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks for the explanations Fernando. I am happy to hear that pylab will be
back soon :)

In the following test, when I issue a plt.show() I can't get access to the
IPython shell unless I close the plot window. Moreover If I call plt.show()
without a plot command beforehand, I have to kill the shell and restart the
session again.

Seems like a bug or something getting wrong with my system.

This is Fedora 11.

$ ipython

Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Jun  8 2009, 16:07:26)

IPython 0.11.bzr.r1205 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.

I[1]: import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

I[2]: %gui qt

I[3]: plt.plot(range(10))
O[3]: [<matplotlib.lines.Line2D object at 0xacc386c>]

I[4]: plt.show()

--
Gökhan