[IPython-dev] Musings: syntax for high-level expression of parallel (and other) execution control

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:50:24 EDT 2009

Hi Hans!

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 06 September 2009 09:14:46 Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> Let me throw kaa into the pot, which is a set of libraries for media
> programming, but kaa.base contains really interesting coroutine-stuff!
> Let me quote http://doc.freevo.org/2.0/Kaa:
>> The kaa framework includes a mainloop facility with an API for signals and
>> callbacks, timers, process and thread management, file descriptor monitoring
>> (with INotify support), inter-process communication, as well as a rich,
>> practically magical API for asynchronous programming (see
>> http://doc.freevo.org/2.0/SourceDoc/Async)

Thanks a lot for the pointer to that!  I think this little thread did
indeed prove to be a productive exercise.  As we dig out of Brian's
major foundational rework, seeing what others have done with this type
of problem, with the benefit of more understanding and patterns in our
head to think about it, will be very productive.

> Maybe the threaded decorator is similar to what Fernando has in mind:
> (I thought I mentioned kaa here before, but I guess I did not give any code
> examples..)
>
> @kaa.threaded()
> def do_blocking_task():
>   [...]
>   return 42

Similar, with the caveat Darren pointed out of immediate consumption.

Best regards, and thanks again for pitching in!