[IPython-dev] Testing matplotlib on IPython trunk

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 01:43:26 EDT 2009

Thanks Fernando for the quick response.

Today this is the 3rd time I am hitting an unsupported feature in the Python
lands.

1-) No attribute docstrings

2-) Look this question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1458203/reading-a-float-from-string

and 3rd is this.

However I think I influenced to guys in our campus to take a look Python.
One using Matlab-Simulink and C on collision-detection system design, the
latter uses C to design a small scale embedded acquisition system for UAV
platforms. He uses an ARM Cortex A8 processor powered Gumstix
board<http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=228>.
Xubuntu 9.04 runs on it. I saw Python 2.6.2 installed, however not sure how
easy would that be to bring rest of the scipy stack into that machine.

Besides, tomorrow there is going to be a Matlab seminar here
http://www.mathworks.com/company/events/seminars/seminar39323.html
It is about a SciPy advanced tutorial long.

Many similar subjects I see there:

*Speeding Up MATLAB Applications:Tips and Tricks for Writing Efficient Code
*Topics include:
• Understanding preallocation and vectorization
• Addressing bottlenecks
• Efficient indexing and manipulations
• JIT
• Interpreter
• Mex

*Brief Introduction to Parallel Computing with MATLAB
*• Task parallel applications for faster processing
• Data parallel applications for handling large data sets
• Scheduling your programs to run

I hope I will not kick out from the session by keep commenting oh that is
possible in Python, oh this is too :)

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/21 Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com>:
> >
> > It's a very late reply but I am wondering how to make these appear in the
> Ipy dev loaded into the session but not visible to a whos listing?
> >

> I don't think that's supported quite right now.  IPython does one
> special thing to support a clean %whos listing: right before opening
> up the user mainloop, it checks all keys in the user namespace, and
> later on when %whos is run, those variables that were initially
> present are not displayed.  So for now if you do this interactively,
> you will unfortunately pollute %whos.
>
> This is one thing we'll need to make sure works nicely again when the
> dust settles.
>
> Cheers,

Gökhan