[IPython-dev] Moving to git/github

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Wed Apr 14 12:39:39 EDT 2010

Hi Christopher-

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:26:22AM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
> > I've tested converting our bzr repo into git
>
> I don't suppose you'd consider Mercurial? It seems the more "Pythonic"
> option, and I'm really not looking forward to keeping track how to use
> four different VCSs.

Fortunately, you don't have to. Even though I've never installed git on any of
my systems, I've just migrated my Mercurial projects to github[0]. With the
hg-git[1] plugin (developed by github), it's easy to use Mercurial for hacking
and push my work back to github. I'm sure you could do the same when IPython
finishes its migration.

[0] FWIW, I also have mirrors on bitbucket (a service catering directly to
    Mercurial). I keep the mirrors in sync with the following in a clone's hgrc:

    [hooks]
    changegroup.bitbucket = hg push bitbucket
    changegroup.github = hg push github

    When I push to the clone, it in turn sends the changes to bitbucket and
    github (the actual paths are defined elsewhere in the hgrc).
[1] http://hg-git.github.com/

--

[Will Maier]-----------------[willmaier at ml1.net|http://www.lfod.us/]