[IPython-dev] Moving to git/github

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 14:11:39 EDT 2010

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I don't suppose you'd consider Mercurial? It seems the more "Pythonic"
> option, and I'm really not looking forward to keeping track how to use
> four different VCSs.
>
> Oh well. I probably won't need to do more than pull the latest anyway.

Fortunately as Will points out (thanks!), there's good hg <-> git
support.  I think the reality is that we'll live with git AND hg for a
while, as both seem to have crossed a threshold of interest, activity
and quality that can sustain them.

Personally I really like git, all of my current public and private
work is git-hosted, Brian also uses git extensively, matplotlib is
moving to git, the nipy project from my work is partly git hosted and
the rest of it is moving to git soon, etc.  I find git's branching
model fabulous, and I love the github interface.

So I don't see a compelling reason to go to hg, despite the fact that
I'm sure it's a perfectly good tool.  I do like the fact that hg is
there and is good, I have the impression that the competition between
hg and git is benefiting both projects and they are learning from each
other.

It's true that it's a little annoying to use all systems, but
hopefully soon we'll be down to hg and git: I don't see bzr going
anywhere, and git-svn is a pretty good option to use for svn repos
once you're familiar with git.  And as those two converge even
further, it should get even easier.

Regards,