[IPython-dev] Moving to git/github

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:49:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

>> incompatibilities, ...).  Once bzr decided to corrupt my repo (I'd
>> never seen that from any other VC system!), I had to re-clone all the
>
> Aside: I have absolutely seen git repository (a remote one!) get
> corrupted accidentally.

Ouch, that's bad news, and worrysome.

> Was gitorious (a truly free service, as opposed to github) considered?

Honestly I have only played lightly with it.  I have more github
experience than with gitorious simply because several projects I
follow were already on github and I very much like their interface.
My experience with gitorious has been minimal.  They do have a
project/person/team model that's very similar to the LP one, while
github has no 'teams'.

I really like how github allows individual users to offer write access
to branches, how the site can follow the network of forks, their
comment system, and overall their interface: it's fluid and gets
completely out of your way. I have no experience with gitorious at
that level, but I'd be happy to hear comments on this front.

Being fully free is certainly a plus for gitorious, though since we're
not planning on hosting it ourselves, the weight of this consideration
is secondary.  Workflow, support and features are more important in
this case (LP was not free for a long time while we used it and that
didn't really stop us).

I certainly don't want to appear to be imposing a decision, so by all
means do offer any contrasting views so we can come to an informed
final choice.