[IPython-dev] Bug handling: launchpad, github, other?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 20:53:41 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another option would be to use Google Code's issue tracker. While it is sort of
> label-based, that's mostly just an illusion of the data entry UI. Labels of the
> form CamelCaseKey-value basically create new key/value metadata pairs, and the
> project admin can control the taxonomy. I believe it comes with a sensible
> default set.
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTracker

Unfortunately google has decided to unconditionally block Cuba from
access to all of code.google.com. There are US export laws that Google
must follow, but for example Sourceforge has allowed individual
project admins to select whether their project contains
export-restricted code (mostly crypto-related tools), so that most
projects on SF are accessible to Cuba.  Google, on the other hand,
makes this restriction site-wide.

My colleague Matthew Brett, who travels often to Cuba and collaborates
with scientists there, has pointed this out before and I would like to
support the access to open source projects for Cuban residents.  We
have in fact been discussing how to encourage the uptake of scientific
python tools in Cuba (heavily matlab-dominated, at least in some
fields) and it would be good to make sure they can access the tools
we're promoting in the first place.

But it does seem like the Google team did a good job thinking about
this: the apparent simplicity of a labels-only approach with just
enough of an underlying model to provide some useful structure.

If we end up with GH, these are good references to have, if nothing
else, to file as requests with their system.

> It looks like you can set up Google Code Subversion repo as a read-only mirror
> of the git trunk. This would probably permit the VCS-issue tracker integration.
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/ImportingFromGit
>
> http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTracker#Integration_with_version_control
>
> Both Launchpad's bug tracker and Google Code's issue tracker have Python APIs,
> so perhaps you could migrate the individual issues.
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTrackerAPIPython
>   https://help.launchpad.net/API

The github one has a web api:

http://develop.github.com/p/issues.html

which for example someone used to write a ruby-based
lighthouse-to-github conversion script:

http://github.com/suitmymind/lighthouse-to-github/blob/master/migrate-lh-to-gh.rb

It looks easy enough to use it as a starting point and do a lp2gh bug migrator.

Thanks!