[IPython-dev] Message spec draft more fleshed out

Wendell Smith wackywendell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 23:40:17 EDT 2010

  Dear Brian,

Thank you for your answer and your patience... you're really helping me
understand this, and I appreciate it!

As for curses... I've switched to the urwid library, which, by the way,
I have already mostly ported to py3k... and the urwid library is set up
to use any sort of asynchronous main loop you want, with a basic main
loop written into it, a tornado-based main loop, and a select-based
mainloop already written, and it's flexible, so one could write a main
loop on one's own. Input is non-blocking.

As for my previous idea, maybe I'm still not understanding, but perhaps
we could still have a basic system with a kernelmanager object, a
send_receive function, and two queues, in and out. The send_receive
function reads messages from the out_queue and sends them, and then
receives messages from zmq through the ports and then puts them on the
in_queue, never really looking at what messages are coming in and out,
just putting them on the queues. The kernel manager object could then be
set up exactly as I said before, except that it has an additional
method, process_messages, in which it reads a message from the in_queue,
determines which method to call, and calls it; the methods do their
magic, printing, receiving input, whatever, and some put messages on the
out_queue.

As I see it, this sounds great: the queues can be from Queue.Queue, and
then everything is thread safe, as the send_receive function cold be on
one thread, the kernelmanager methods on the other, and the two would
interact only through the thread-safe queues. For an asynchronous
approach, you have an option to set max_msgs and timeout for both the
send_receive function and the process_messages method, and call them
alternately with max_msgs = 1, timeout = 0. This then would make the
frontend programmer's job easy: all they need to do is get their main
loop to frequently call send_receive and kernelmanager.process_messages,
with max_num and timeout set appropriately, and then fill in the other
methods from the kernel manager to provide output and input.

This is a bit simplified... we might need prioritized queues, or
send_receive might need to add tags to the message to say which channel
they came in on... but that shouldn't be difficult, if the rest of it
makes sense.

Would this work? If not, what am I missing?

Thank you again for your patience,
Wendell