[IPython-dev] Message spec draft more fleshed out

Wendell Smith wackywendell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 00:10:12 EDT 2010

  Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the reply... it's been really nice to see how helpful and
responsive this team has been!

I'm kinda busy for the next week or two, but then I'll get back to my
frontend... it still has some issues before integration, and I think I'm
going to let the API settle a bit before I try and get too involved.

I do still have one more question... why are we doing so much in the
channel threads? Why not have the channels simply send and receive, not
even looking at the messages, and have hookups to call methods on some
object in the main thread that will do the message parsing? That way the
frontend managers only have to hook up 'message_received' and
'send_message' between the two threads, and aren't messing about too
much with those threads... once they make those simple connections
(through queues, signals, etc.), then one would only have to fill in
methods on the main API object. That way seems to have two advantages:
firstly, the inter-thread communication is limited to only 4 or 5
methods, making thread errors less likely, and secondly, the main API is
then on one object, clearly in the main thread.

So... I assume there's a good reason for doing everything in the channel
threads... but I can't see it. Could someone explain?

thanks,
Wendell