[IPython-dev] Exceptions and completion support in newkernel

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 03:31:42 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I've just pushed a bunch of work here:

http://github.com/fperez/ipython/tree/newkernel

that we should be able to merge tomorrow into the new shared newkernel
branch.  This updates the exception handling mechanism to use proper
structured tracebacks throughout, as well as providing a refactoring
of tab completion to make it more independent of readline and more
suitable for use in a messaging environment.

Evan, a few notes:

- I didn't know what to do here.  Not a big deal, we can take care of it later:
http://github.com/fperez/ipython/blob/newkernel/IPython/frontend/qt/console/frontend_widget.py#L297

- For now, tracebacks are ansi-loaded, so I disabled html reporting:
http://github.com/fperez/ipython/blob/newkernel/IPython/frontend/qt/console/ipython_widget.py#L115

Evan, let me know how it goes with this, and tomorrow we can push it
to upstream/newkernel after review.