[IPython-dev] Tab-completion in master

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:18:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Jörgen Stenarson
<jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with tab-completion in the master branch when running
> on windows with pyreadline. If there are both magics and regular
> functions matching I get a list of matches but the line I started with
> is removed, if there is only magics or regular matches it works as
> expected. I think in 0.10 or earlier magics were only matched whith an
> explicit % at the beginning of the line.
>
> example:
> In [1]: r
> %reset           reversed         raw_input        %rehashx
> %rep             reduce           reload           round
> return           repr             range            README.txt
> raise            %run             ren              %r
> %reload_ext      %reset_selective rmdir
>
> In [1]:
>
> with longer string
>
> In [1]: res
> %reset           %reset_selective
>
> In [1]: %reset
>

> Is the behaviour the same on Linux?

Yes, I see the same:

In [1]: r
%r                       %rundemo                 repr
%rehashx                 raise                    return
%reload_ext              range                    reversed
%rep                     raw_input                rich_ipython_widget.pyc
%reset                   re                       rm
%reset_selective         reduce                   rmdir
%run                     reload                   round

In [1]: res
%reset            %reset_selective

In [1]: %reset

but that's actually fairly similar to what 0.10 gives me:

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: r
raise      raw_input  reload     return     rm         round
range      reduce     repr       reversed   rmdir

In [1]: %reset [This was re-written]

I don't find it to be a big bother, what part of that behavior don't
you like?  The auto-prepending of '%'?  I think that would be fairly
easy to fix, though it's been around for a while without complaints...

I'm happy to look at improving the behavior, I just want to make sure
I understand what direction you'd like to see it improved in.

Regards,