[IPython-dev] Qt frontend idea

Evan Patterson epatters at enthought.com
Thu Aug 26 10:33:46 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Evan Patterson <epatters at enthought.com>
> wrote:
> > The functionality for this is actually already there, but it's untested.
> > I'll add a keybinding for it tomorrow and make sure that it works.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> Once it's working, we can implement the %clear magic to return on the
> payload a message that says something like 'clear screen' for each
> frontend to do the right thing (it's different on a terminal than in
> Qt, for example).

This is done. Note that Ctrl-L actually clears the screen rather than moving
the prompt to the top of the widget. This may not be what we want.

> > Also, the call tip popup is supposed to have logic to re-position itself
> > above the input line if it would be below the bottom of the monitor. If
> this
> > isn't the behavior that you're seeing, let me know.
>
> No, it's certainly not working right here.  If the terminal is close
> to the bottom and my input line is at the bottom of the terminal
> itself, I can hardly read anything from the popup, as most of it is
> 'below the monitor'.
>
> I could show you tomorrow with a teamviewer setup if you want.

Now that I actually look at the code, I see that the logic isn't even there,
which explains why it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure this was implemented at
one point... in any case, I'll get this working soon.