[IPython-dev] iptest on 0.11.alpha1.git

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:25:52 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A simple question before showing the test suite results:
> > What is git equivalent of svn revision number? Is it the commit id
> > @ http://github.com/ipython/ipython
>
> Yes, the commit hash.  The first 7 or 8 characters typically suffice,
> unless you have a gigantic git repo like the linux kernel, which
> already needs 10 or 11 to ensure uniqueness because it has collisions
> on the first 9 characters.

Nice that with this question asked, we already gotten something implemented
showing this information on the main entry which I find very useful.

> I know about this test failure, it's something really odd that *only*
> happens on Fedora.    I have no idea why, I've been able to reproduce
> it with Fedora virtual machines but never on any other system.
>
> We'll try to revisit it later, but it's an old one and I can't dive
> into a Fedora expedition right now.  It may be a fairly tricky bug to
> understand.  It would be great if you want to help out, I just want to
> give you a fair warning of what may be involved.

With virtual OS'es it is very easy to test devel level software. Overall,
doesn't many buildbots use virtual OS'es and arches to test their software.
I still think it is a good idea to give a very brief information update to
the end-users (even a few lines and a screenshot would suffice) with a
recommendation to testing these in a virtual OS for the curious like me
--this was a partial reply to your (Fernando's) previous response.

>From the mailing lists for the Linux OS it seems like many uses Ubuntu. I
know there are few who uses Fedora and Redhat. There is serious support on
Fedora for Python (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Python_in_Fedora_13) I
might not be much help besides reporting my observations to fix those test
errors, but probably I could ask Fedora Python maintainer to provide some
insight.

Speaking of OS'es, I think it might be a good idea to start a simple poll or
an actively edited document to list people and their OS choice for their
academic/developmental Python work. What do you think?

--
Gökhan