[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] Uniform GUI support across matplotlib, ets and ipython

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 15:24:11 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I implemented an event loop in the MacOSX backend and the PyOS_ImportHook event loop in PyGTK, so I've been interested in this topic.

Yes, and you were quite helpful last summer when i was trying to
understand the PyOS_InputHook logic. I appreciated that greatly!

> If I understand guisupport.py correctly, IPython runs the backend-specific event loop. Have you considered to implement an event loop in IPython and to run that instead of a backend-specific event loop? Then you won't have to iterate the event loop, and you can run multiple GUI backends (PyGTK, PyQT, Tkinter, ...) at the same time. The latter may work with the current guisupport.py, but is fragile, because running one of the backend-specific event loops may inadvertently run code from a different backend.

Yes, we do run the native event loops of the GUI toolkit requested.
There are a few reasons we haven't gone the direction you are
mentioning (although it has crossed our minds):

1.  We are not *that* passionate about GUI event loops.  I would say
our philosophy with event loops is "the simplest solution possible
that is robust."
2.  While it might be nice to be able to run multiple event loops, in
most cases users can survive fine without this feature.  This is
especially true with more and more people migrating to Qt because of
the license change.
3.  We are just barely at the point of getting the new PyOS_InputHook
and two process kernel GUI support working robustly with
matplotlib/traits/mayavi/etc.  It is an 2xNxMxP testing nightmare with
2 ways IPython can run the event loop x N toolkits x M projects x P
platforms.  Simply installing all possible combinations would probably
take a couple of weeks time, let alone debugging it all.  I envy
matlab developers that simple have to test their plotting on a few
platforms.  We will be lucky to cover matplotlib/traits/mayavi on just
qt4/wx on Mac/Linux/windows for the 0.11 release.
4.  Integrating multiple event loops is either 1) super subtle and
difficult (if you actually start all the event loops involved) or 2)
tends to create solutions that busy poll or consume non-trivial CPU
power.  The wx based PyOS_Inputhook and our two process GUI support
are already great examples of this.  We have to work pretty hard to
create things that are responsive but that don't consume 100% of the
CPU.  To reduce the CPU usage of the wx PyOS_InputHook we actually
dynamically scale back the polling time depending on how often the
user is triggering GUI events.
5.  It is not just about integrating GUI event loops.  We also have
multiple other event loops in our apps that handle networking.

Cheers,

Brian