[IPython-dev] IPython on PyPy

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 03:44:45 EST 2010

Hi Alex,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using .10.1 (what was installed with pip).  Is master stable
> enough that testing with it is a good idea?

Well, the issue is that the code in master is massively refactored, so
if you find any specific changes that need to be made on our part,
we're all pretty much only working on master anymore (0.10.x is in
pure maintenace mode). But it's true that 0.10 is still what's
deployed out there, so perhaps you're fine.  If you do find a problem
from our side, we may revisit the question with master at that point.

>> As you see, those are all plain python strings (in the 2.x sense).
>> It's possible that something is messing them up and adding weird
>> encoding artifacts when treated as unicode, I don't know...
>>

> Yep, I suppose there's somehow a bug in our readline handling them,
> but I'm not sure what, any idea how to debug that?

Ah, readline/terminal bugs... Fun.  No, they are very, very hard to
diagnose.  Mostly it involves digging into the code that emits any of
those strings and inserting print statements to print the repr() of
the string out to the screen so that you can inspect it for corruption
of the ansi escapes.  Since these are just the prompt strings it
shouldn't be that bad though, have a look in Prompts.py, you might be
able to pin down the culprit quickly just by printing the repr of the
prompt strings before display.

HTH,