[IPython-dev] roadmap for IPython.zmq.parallel

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 20:44:10 EST 2010

I think targeting the current zmq.parallel code is worthwhile right now.  I
would call the current state 'alpha' level, as it is has yet to be reviewed,
and is largely untested in the wild, but getting it up to code, so to speak,
shouldn't be a huge project.

The primary shortcomings currently:

* Configuration - Some very nice work has been done to add configurable
objects in IPython, and these tools are not yet used in the zmq parallel
code.
* Startup Scripts - Brian and others built some very nice tools for
deploying Twisted IPython on various clusters, and this work hasn't yet been
ported to use the existing ZeroMQ processes.
* Security - We do now allow for ssh tunnels, and it works with shell ssh,
as well as Paramiko. This is the newest code, and is largely untested
against the wide variety of key/password combinations used for ssh
authentication.
* Error handling - When code is going well, it's pretty solid, but there are
still decisions to be made on how to handle exceptions.  It survives errors
just fine, but exactly how we deal with the failures is likely to change.

The main pains you may see from it being alpha is that the API is not yet
frozen.  I wouldn't expect it to change much, but as we haven't had the
serious round of review yet, things are likely to change a little bit, so
you can expect to have your code require small adjustments while we iron
things out. But the basics are there, and won't change significantly.

-MinRK