[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:45:50 EST 2010

I've realized I let this linger without action, and we probably should
do something about it while it's (relatively) fresh in our minds.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now I could issue lp commands and upgrade the repos in lp itself, but
>> that's going to cascade to everyone else, so I don't want to do that
>> without further feedback.
>
> We did it for Leo and it didn't cause problems. People just needed to
> get a fresh copy from launchpad and merge their changes there.
>
> Remote repository upgrade did take quite a bit of time, though
> (possibly hours?).

So, as a concrete proposal, I can update the remote repo say by this
weekend, giving anyone with local changes in any branch time to merge
them.  By Sunday I will start a remote repo upgrade, and we'll all
simply have to run local upgrades before doing any further operations.

Does that sound OK, have I missed anything?

>> It's nuts that bzr would make a change like this with such a nasty
>> cascading effect...
>
> It's actually quite simple to get over this; I agree that launchpad
> admins could have made a little bit more noise about this change.

Yes, it's annoying because they more or less forced projects to deal
with the issue to some extent right away, without any clear head
warning.  But it doesn't matter, we can do it and move on.

>> Ideas from the experts? (I know, I want to switch to git too so we can
>> get off the mess that is bzr and its never ending stream of weird
>> problems, but that's probably too disruptive for now, so let's stick
>> to solutions that use bzr...)
>
> Judging by my experience with git, I don't think it would be much of
> an improvement. Mercurial, on the other hand...

That's a topic for another day, but I'd be curious about your
experiences.  The more I use git the more I like it and I've only used
hg very lightly, so I'd be interested in this.