[IPython-dev] isympy doesn't work with the new ipython-dev

Mikhail Terekhov termim at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 01:16:50 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Erik, it's worth mentioning we've been mulling the idea of allowing
> profiles to reside in third-party projects.  Something like
>
> iptyhon -p sympy:isympy
>
> would make IPython look for
>
> sympy/ipython/profile/ipython_config_isympy.py
>
> So that Sympy itself (using sympy just as an example) could ship its
> profiles/config files by including a directory named ipython/ in its
> own tree, with config/profile directories.
>
> We'd like to get feedback on this idea.  It's not implemented yet,
> we've just been thinking about it to minimize the coupling between
> project schedules and make it really easy for projects to expose
> ipython-based functionality without having to ask their users to copy
> profile/config files.

I'd suggest to allow loading profiles from _arbitrary_ place.
Why it is forbidden to have some specialized profile just somewhere?
For example, I would benefit if it was possible to have profile somewhere
on NFS and my group could use it from different computers. This would
allow centralized profile management in big organizations.

Regards,
--
Mikhail Terekhov