[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:27:28 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've realized I let this linger without action, and we probably should
> do something about it while it's (relatively) fresh in our minds.

You may be into the same entertaining chore soon again, I'm running
Lucid beta's and am seeing:

"""
Doing on-the-fly conversion from <RemoteRepositoryFormat> to
<RepositoryFormat2a>.
This may take some time. Upgrade the repositories to the same format
for better performance.
"""

>> Judging by my experience with git, I don't think it would be much of
>> an improvement. Mercurial, on the other hand...
>
> That's a topic for another day, but I'd be curious about your
> experiences.  The more I use git the more I like it and I've only used
> hg very lightly, so I'd be interested in this.

I'm using git with gitorious myself, but basically it's just that I'm
unable to feel confident with the program at all (as in, when problems
appear, I'm not sure I can intuitively understand them, like I do with
mercurial and bzr).

I guess it has everything to do with the bad "ui" of git, cryptic
error messages etc. So far, I haven't really hit much problems, but
I've seen a lot of other people do, and on those situations they tend
to need expert support. Not so with hg, people can basically  use it
after they understand dvcs in general.

I also like the fact that it's trivial to put up a "hg serve" session
for quick collaborative hacking, and that you get time based "simple"
revision numbers instead of relying only on hashes.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio