[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Feb 12 05:37:31 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:31:57AM +0100, Hans Meine wrote:
> On Thursday 11 February 2010 21:27:28 Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> > [...] Not so with hg, people can basically  use it
> > after they understand dvcs in general.

> > I also like the fact that it's trivial to put up a "hg serve" session
> > for quick collaborative hacking, and that you get time based "simple"
> > revision numbers instead of relying only on hashes.

> OK, my 2 cents:

And mine...

I use heavily only bzr, and I see its limitations. I agree with Hans that
its main strength is nowadays Launchpad, although that fact that it is
easy to get going under Windows is a pro too.

Out of the 3 main DVCSs, I am also most tempted by hg, because I feels it
strikes the right balance between power and simplicity. However, for me
hg has a killer feature: subrepositories (or the forest extension,
previously): http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/subrepos

I work in many projects where the natural setting is actually a group of
projects evolving together. Sub-repositories are the natural answer to
this situation and a big pro for me because the reduce technical and
social difficulties with loosely coupled projects: better than a
fully-integrated repo as projects have some independence, but better than
separate repos, as it is possible to have comon history.

Maybe git has a similar feature. I haven't seen it yet.

Gaël