[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 06:32:18 EST 2010

2010/2/12 Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org>:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:31:57AM +0100, Hans Meine wrote:
>> On Thursday 11 February 2010 21:27:28 Ville M. Vainio wrote:
>> > [...] Not so with hg, people can basically  use it
>> > after they understand dvcs in general.
>
>> > I also like the fact that it's trivial to put up a "hg serve" session
>> > for quick collaborative hacking, and that you get time based "simple"
>> > revision numbers instead of relying only on hashes.
>
>> OK, my 2 cents:
>
> And mine...

And mine ;)

I've started with Bazaar and I'm still using it for my personal
projects, but professionnally I switched to Hg, because I didn't need
Launchpad there. Multiple branches are a extraordinary thing, but it
can be messy if you have several different branches yourself.

> I use heavily only bzr, and I see its limitations. I agree with Hans that
> its main strength is nowadays Launchpad, although that fact that it is
> easy to get going under Windows is a pro too.

+1

> Out of the 3 main DVCSs, I am also most tempted by hg, because I feels it
> strikes the right balance between power and simplicity. However, for me
> hg has a killer feature: subrepositories (or the forest extension,
> previously): http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/subrepos

It's not that great. Bzr also has the same feature.
The main issue is when you copy something from one subrepos to
another: you loose the history. Basically, it is useless IMHO.

> I work in many projects where the natural setting is actually a group of
> projects evolving together. Sub-repositories are the natural answer to
> this situation and a big pro for me because the reduce technical and
> social difficulties with loosely coupled projects: better than a
> fully-integrated repo as projects have some independence, but better than
> separate repos, as it is possible to have comon history.

I think the ultimate solution to this issue (that I also have) is not
there yet :(

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.