[IPython-dev] DreamPie - a new graphical Python shell

Noam Yorav-Raphael noamraph at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 10:02:20 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 04:34:32PM +0200, Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
>> > Note that I am a user of neither, because they don't offer all the
>> > functionalities that I need from IPython...
>
>> Can you say what these functionalities are? I'm interested to know
>> which features people are missing from DreamPie.
>
> Most of the IPython magics. Go history management. The ability to have
> several GUI event loop. Fancy tracebacks and interactive debuger support.
> Output history. Shell support. Tab completion on file names. The '?' and
> '??' support.

Thanks for the list!
* History management is there - the recent values computed are saved,
and all your command and output history is saved too. You can even
save it to a HTML file.
* GUI event loops are there - GTK, Tkinter, and QT event loops are
automatically supported, in a way very similar to Tkinter in the
traditional interpreter - handling events while idle.
* Tracebacks are not really fancy, but are colored in red so that it's
easy to distinguish them from normal output.
* Completion of file names is there too, using a popup list.

This leaves these features:
* Fancy tracebacks and debugger support - right now pdb works like in
the classic interpreter, but I'm sure IPython supports better
debugging.
* Shell support. (you can use os.system, but it's not the same thing)
* '?' and '??'. I guess that in a graphical environment it's best if
the help appears in a new window.

That's a great list. I hope I will be able to implement those. Thanks!

> Does 'Ctrl-C' work in Dreampie?

Works like charm... It was hard getting it right on Windows, but I managed it.

Thanks,
Noam