[IPython-dev] Closing in on 0.11? We need some review/feedback help

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:49:51 EST 2010

Hi Gokhan,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is one test comes from me:

> Platform     :
> Linux-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.PAE-i686-with-fedora-12-Constantine
> Python       : ('CPython', 'tags/r262', '71600')
> IPython      : 0.11.bzr.r1321

Great, thanks!

> bzr branch lp:~fdo.perez/ipython/trunk-dev
> python setupegg.py develop
>
> python -c "import IPython; IPython.test()"

> Ran 66 tests in 0.142s
>
> OK (SKIP=6)

> Ran 9 test groups in 7.364s
>
> ERROR - 3 out of 9 test groups failed.
> Runner failed: IPython.core
> You may wish to rerun this one individually, with:
> python /usr/bin/iptest -v IPython.core

> Runner failed: IPython.kernel
> You may wish to rerun this one individually, with:
> python /usr/bin/iptest -v IPython.kernel

> Runner failed: IPython.extensions
> You may wish to rerun this one individually, with:
> python /usr/bin/iptest -v IPython.extensions
>

> and the details:
>

> python /usr/bin/iptest -v IPython.core
> FAIL: Test that object's __del__ methods are called on exit.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nose/case.py", line 182, in runTest
>     self.test(*self.arg)
>   File
> "/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/ipython-dev/IPython/testing/decorators.py",
> line 225, in skipper_func
>     return f(*args, **kwargs)
>   File
> "/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/ipython-dev/IPython/core/tests/test_run.py",
> line 160, in test_obj_del
>     tt.ipexec_validate(self.fname, 'object A deleted')
>   File
> "/home/gsever/Desktop/python-repo/ipython-dev/IPython/testing/tools.py",
> line 288, in ipexec_validate
>     nt.assert_equals(out.strip(), expected_out.strip())
> AssertionError: '\x1b[?1034hobject A deleted' != 'object A deleted'
>>>  raise self.failureException, \
>           (None or '%r != %r' % ('\x1b[?1034hobject A deleted', 'object A
> deleted'))

Wow, this is weird.  It's producing color escapes for the prompts,
which I don't see here and have no idea how they are happening,
because I'm initializing the internal instance in nocolor mode.  Very
bizarre.

Could you do me a favor? Try the attached patch and see if that helps,
I'm a bit stumped.

> FAIL: IPython.core.tests.test_run.TestMagicRunSimple.test_tclass

same error as above

> python /usr/bin/iptest -v IPython.kernel
> Failure: AttributeError ('module' object has no attribute 'kernel') ...
> ERROR

Huh? That doesn't make any sense.

Are you sure you're running off the branch?  I don't use 'setup.py
develop', so I'm not sure it works correctly.  I simply have in my
PYTHONPATH a symlink to my source ipython directory, so that

import IPython

loads the right version.  Could you verify that you are getting the
right version?

> ERROR: Failure: AttributeError ('module' object has no attribute 'kernel')
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nose/loader.py", line 353, in
> loadTestsFromName
>     module = resolve_name(addr.module)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nose/util.py", line 310, in
> resolve_name
>     obj = getattr(obj, part)
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'kernel'

> Ran 1 test in 0.001s
>
> FAILED (errors=1)
>

> python /usr/bin/iptest -v IPython.extensions
> FAIL:
> IPython.extensions.tests.test_pretty.TestPrettyInteractively.test_printers

Same again as before..

> Overall it works nice in my system. However I couldn't get it loading my
> previous ipy_user_conf.py file? Is there a setting for this?

The config system is different now:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/bzr.r1321/config/overview.html#config-overview

> Ahaa, here is one catch (some extra outputs in whos listing --which I was
> going to ask if it is possible to list the command that we used to construct
> a object next the Data/Info column in whos listing?
>
> Sometimes I search my history to see how I constructed an object. That would
> be useful to have it listed on a whos listing.

There is no way to know this in python in general, since multiple
names can be bound to one object, assignments can happen in many
different ways (code can write to namespace dicts directly, etc).  But
you can write a little extension of yours that walks the In input
history list looking for things that look like variable assignments.
It won't be very robust, but could be useful.  If you end up liking
it, put it up on the cookbook and we can ship it later as an optional
tool, once you've stress-tested it.