[IPython-dev] Updated build of trunk-dev available

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 04:44:11 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Michele Mattioni <mattions at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to test the qt integration but it seems it doesn't work properly.
>
> The ipython doesn't release the prompt as it should (an as it happens with
> 0.10)
>
> I attach a rough script (and adaptation of Mayavi qt embedding), just for
> testing purpose.

Mmh, unfortunately I can't seem to run your script, because I get a traceback:

In [2]: run qt_embedding.py
Warning: Unable to import the qt4 backend for pyface due to traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
	  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enthought/pyface/toolkit.py",
line 40, in _init_toolkit
	    __import__(be + 'init')
	ImportError: No module named qt4.init

Info: Unable to import any backend (qt4) for pyface; using the 'null'
toolkit instead.

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/enthought/traits/ui/toolkit.py:128:
UserWarning: Unable to import the 'qt4' backend for traits UI; using
the 'null' toolkit instead.
  "using the 'null' toolkit instead." % toolkit_name )
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/fperez/Desktop/qt_embedding.py in <module>()
     17     Int, Dict
     18 from enthought.traits.ui.api import View, Item
---> 19 from enthought.mayavi.core.ui.api import MayaviScene, MlabSceneModel, \
     20         SceneEditor
     21 from enthought.mayavi import mlab

ImportError: No module named api

This is on ubuntu karmic.  Do I need to run from SVN Enthought for this example?

It would be great if we could have a smaller example illustrating your
problem that didn't depend on all of Enthought's machinery, because we
really want to make sure things work OK with Qt.  I've tried simpler
tests using matplotlib with qt, and those seem OK so far.

One thing to try:

1. Start ipython *without* --gui
2. At the ipython prompt, type
gui qt
3. Try to run your script.

Then, repeat, but with 'gui -a qt' instead.  Let us know if  it
produces any difference at all.

If you have a simpler non-mayavi example, send it  our way.

Thanks for the feedback!