[IPython-dev] What do we do about repository formats???

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:46:21 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I could issue lp commands and upgrade the repos in lp itself, but
> that's going to cascade to everyone else, so I don't want to do that
> without further feedback.

We did it for Leo and it didn't cause problems. People just needed to
get a fresh copy from launchpad and merge their changes there.

Remote repository upgrade did take quite a bit of time, though
(possibly hours?).

> It's nuts that bzr would make a change like this with such a nasty
> cascading effect...

It's actually quite simple to get over this; I agree that launchpad
admins could have made a little bit more noise about this change.

> Ideas from the experts? (I know, I want to switch to git too so we can
> get off the mess that is bzr and its never ending stream of weird
> problems, but that's probably too disruptive for now, so let's stick
> to solutions that use bzr...)

Judging by my experience with git, I don't think it would be much of
an improvement. Mercurial, on the other hand...

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio