[IPython-dev] Heartbeat Device

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 18:35:27 EDT 2010

Brian,

Have you worked on the Heartbeat Device? Does that need to go in 0MQ itself,
or can it be part of pyzmq?

I'm trying to work out how to really tell that an engine is down.

Is the heartbeat to be in a separate process?

Are we guaranteed that a zmq thread is responsive no matter what an engine
process is doing? If that's the case, is a moderate timeout on recv adequate
to determine engine failure?

If zmq threads are guaranteed to be responsive, it seems like a simple pair
socket might be good enough, rather than needing a new device. Or even
through the registration XREP socket.

Can we formalize exactly what the heartbeat needs to be?

-MinRK