[IPython-dev] Heartbeat Device

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 19:10:55 EDT 2010

I've been thinking about this, and it seems like we can't have a responsive
rich control connection unless it is in another process, like the old
IPython daemon.  Pure heartbeat is easy with a C device, and we may not even
need a new one. For instance, I added support for the builtin devices of
zeromq to pyzmq with a few lines, and you can have simple is_alive style
heartbeat with a FORWARDER device.

I pushed a basic example of this (examples/heartbeat) to my pyzmq fork.

Running a ~3 second numpy.dot action, the heartbeat pings remain responsive
at <1ms.

-MinRK