[IPython-dev] Coordinating the XREQ and SUB channels

Evan Patterson epatters at enthought.com
Thu Jul 15 17:24:12 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Definitely hard to get right and terminal based frontends will
> > definitely need something like flush.  Let's see how it goes with this
> > approach.
>
> Though absent a real event loop with a callback model, there it will
> need to be implemented with a real sleep(epsilon) and a total timeout.
>  Terminal frontends will always simply be bound to flushing what they
> can and then moving on if nothing has come in a given window they wait
> for.  Such is life when your 'event loop' is the human hitting the
> RETURN key...

This may have been lost in the stream of messages, but you can see my
current implementation of flush here:

http://github.com/epatters/ipython/commit/2ecde29e8f2a5e7012236f61819b2f7833248553

I'm not sure if my approach is better or worse than a using an epsilon for
sleep.

> Evan, quick question: when I open your frontend_widget, I see 100% cpu
> utilization all the time.  Do you see this on your end?

I hadn't noticed this before (probably because I never pay attention to what
my CPU utilization is), but I am seeing this on my end. Thanks for pointing
it out; I'll look into it.

Evan