[IPython-dev] Practices for .10 or .11 profile formats

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 13:31:27 EDT 2010

Ok, great, thanks for the info!

And is the plan to leave the profile API pretty much as-is for
post-0.11 releases?  I understand that the .10 and .11 changes weren't
necessarily expected, but it be good to know if I can plan around the
.11 style syntax as the structure for future releases.

Along those lines, there is one thing I've noticed in the custom
profiles I've built that I'd like to eliminate if possible.  If I
inject startup lines using  c.Global.exec_lines, they seem to
increment the line count.  So I never start out with the line count
actually at 1.  Is there a way to override this behavior, either by
just setting the line count manually,   or a version of exec_lines
that doesn't get stored in the history?

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been meaning to add some ipython profiles to a project I'm
>> working on ("recommended interactive environments" as it were), but
>> I'm a little unclear as to what is the best way is to do this.  I
>> personally much prefer the .11 style profiles, but of course that's
>> still in development, so I can't put it as a profile for general use
>> until there's been some kind of release.  So is .11 in some form
>> likely to be out soon?  Or a 10.1 that might include support for
>> .11-style profiles?  Or is it best to include both .11 and .10
>> profiles?
>
> I'm afraid right now,  shipping both is the only viable solution.  I'd
> recommend you simply put all non-trivial code in a common file,  and
> refer to that file from both profiles.  That way the duplication is
> minimal and trivial to maintain.
>
> Because we're making so much deep work on 0.11, I think it will  be a
> couple of months before it's ready for release.  While 0.10.1 is
> almost ready, we're just waiting for:
>
> - the work Justin, Matthew, Satra et al are doing on batch systems
> - for one of us to take a couple of hours to merge in Tom's git pull
> requests with a lot of nice  clenaup.
> - Jonathan March's bugfix
> - A fix for a small wx bug I think I introduced.
> - anything I'm missing?
>
> Basically I think 0.10.1 is very close to getting out, while 0.11 is
> certainly a few months away (hopefully no more than 3).
>
> Cheers,

Erik Tollerud