[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Tue Mar 9 05:56:09 EST 2010

On 08.03.10 21:38, Brian Granger wrote:
> Wendell,
>
>> It looks to me like ipipe is on deathrow for IPython 0.11, and in my
>> version of 0.11 it crashes occasionally. It has some interesting
>> functionality, but if its not going to be part of the main distribution,
>> support for it will have to wait. I'm also a very long way from getting
>> any sort of curses frontend working, and that's definitely highest
>> priority: basic functionality.
>
> Yes, we need to decide what to do with ipipe for 0.11.  My feeling is that
> it should be hosted as a separate project (that is why it is in deathrow)
> but this has not been discussed.

I have no problem with taking ipipe out of the IPython distribution and
releasing it as a separate project.

We could have a page in the IPython wiki that lists all external IPython
extensions.

> We are really wanting to keep the core of
> IPython as small as possible, as the code base has grown in size far
> beyond our development teams abilities to keep up.
>
> Minimally, ipipe needs to be updated to the new APIs, but that
> shouldn't be too difficult.

Do you have any hints on how that could be done? What ipipe currently
uses is the following:

    from IPython.utils import generics
    generics.result_display.when_type(Display)(display_display)

>> However, I'm definitely going to keep in mind that others may wish to
>> use curses from within the curses frontend; once the main curses
>> frontend is working, I'll think about how that may work.
>
> Great!
>
> Brian

Servus,
   Walter