[IPython-dev] ImportError: No module named ipapp

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:59:41 EST 2010

Hi,

> I have an identical problem : I have a trunk build of ipython, that I
> installed with --user, and then today I wanted to have a look at the bundle
> EPD distribution. I thought that the whole point was that I could get a
> completely "waterproof" distribution with EPD, irrespective of any other
> development version of say ipython on my system.

EPD, is like any other Python installation in terms of how it resolves and finds
Python packages.  When you install EPD, it sets your PATH variables to point
to its python, ipython, etc scripts.  BUT, Python 2.6 still uses the
--user location
to find packages.  Thus, you have the following problem:

* /home/cohen/sources/python/epd-6.1-1-rh5-x86/bin/ipython is first on your
path, so when you type ipython at the command line,  that script starts.

* But when that script tries to "from IPython.ipapi import launch_new_instance"
Python goes and finds the IPython package in the --user location, which is the
wrong version of IPython (trunk doesn't have launch_new_instance).

So you must:

* Install trunk IPython into EPD so that its "ipython" script points
to the trunk version.
* Set your PATH differently so that the trunk "ipython" script is
found before the EPD
version.
* Uninstall the trunk version of IPython.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Brian