[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend

Wendell Smith wackywendell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 10:04:31 EDT 2010

Thanks again for your response!

OK, I have very little experience with twisted, and none with 0MQ, and
would very much appreciate if someone could give me some help there.

My plan so far is:
1. Figure out whether to use curses or urwid
2. Make the necessary widgets/etc. for curses/urwid, completely
independent of ipython (mainly, a nice text editing box that can handle
coloring, a main scrollable text box for the output, and a pop-up window
for completions)
3. Figure out how to handle coloring - pygments, pycolorize, etc.
Ipython's built in colorizer is not good enough: firstly, curses doesn't
take terminal escapes, and secondly, I want to colorize the input as one
types, which requires handling unfinished input - which the built in
lexer can't handle. It looks like pygments is the way to go, and I'll
need to write a formatter for curses (pygments doesn't have one, and
curses is a special case, anyway)
4. Start working on integration with ipython. While of course ipython
will be on my mind for the above, I would like the widgets to be sort of
their own thing, that could be used independently of ipython, for 2
reasons: firstly, someone might find them useful anyway, and secondly,
it should make it easier to do bug fixes and isolate bugs.

I hope to get #1 done today or tomorrow, and get  back to #2. I've
already gotten a good start on a curses based text-editing,
color-capable widget, but if urwid looks good, I may drop it and go for
theirs.

A couple of questions/problems:
1. Curses likes to block while waiting for input - is this ok? Should I
try and get around this?
2. Colorizing. Someone already mentioned that they were thinking of
switching ipython over to pygments. I could do this - it would make
things easier for me in the long run. If I don't go that route, then it
gets really complicated. As coloring the input pretty much requires
pygments (built-in lexer can't handle unfinished input), there then
become several options:
     a. Require pygments for the curses frontend.
     b. Don't require pygments, but be completely colorless without it.
     c. Write some fancy way of using the built in colorizer to handle
the output, as well as one for pygments for the input. That way, without
pygments installed, there is still color in the output portion.
I would, of course, prefer to just convert all ipython to pygments -
which I think I can do - but of course that's not my decision to make,
I'm new here. But if that is a good way to go, I'll happily go there.
Otherwise, I'm leaning towards (b). It's barely more complicated than
(a) while having advantages over (a), and (c) is just too complicated.

OK, that was a lot. I'm going to get back to looking at urwid, but if
anyone else has any answers/recommendations/comments/etc., I would love
to hear them...

-Wendell