[IPython-dev] make ipython work over web

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 13:15:59 EDT 2010

Robert,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-28 22:41 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
>> Ondrej,

>>> My primary concern is the notebook. What is your idea to implement the
>>> asynchronous output update? Let me look at how Sage does it.
>>
>> I would also look at how we are handling it in the 0MQ prototype.  Th
>> challenge is translating that to a browser.
>>
>>> As to json-rpc, it is not blocking, that's just how I like to use it
>>> in ipython. But below the hood, it works exactly as you said, e.g. you
>>> get some id back immediately and then your method gets called (in
>>> pyjamas) when the result is back. I don't know how this is done
>>> internally. I think it's just how AJAX works (the browser calls your
>>> javascript method when the result is back).
>>
>> I need to look at jsonrpclib so better see how it works.  I also see
>> that the author has something that works with tornado.
>
> You may be interested in using the new HTML5 WebSocket API. There is a
> compatibility library for older browsers and Python integration:
>
>   http://orbited.org/

Thanks!  I have not been keeping up with HTML5.  I will talk to the
0MQ team about implementing the 0MQ wire protocol with this.  Orbited
looks interesting, but relies on Twisted, which is going to hold back
the python 3 transition.  This stuff is exactly what we need in the
browser though.

Cheers,

Brian