[IPython-dev] make ipython work over web

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 13:25:06 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-29 12:15 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
> Robert,
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Robert Kern<robert.kern at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> You may be interested in using the new HTML5 WebSocket API. There is a
>> compatibility library for older browsers and Python integration:
>>
>>    http://orbited.org/
>
> Thanks!  I have not been keeping up with HTML5.  I will talk to the
> 0MQ team about implementing the 0MQ wire protocol with this.  Orbited
> looks interesting, but relies on Twisted, which is going to hold back
> the python 3 transition.  This stuff is exactly what we need in the
> browser though.

Orbited is just a relay hub. It's a separate application. While it would be nice
if it ran on the same Python version as the IPython process, it doesn't have to.
Any Python 3 system you deploy to will have Python 2 for a long, long time. I
don't think it would hold up IPython (or even a web notebook component of
IPython) from transitioning to Python 3.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco