[IPython-dev] embedding ipython

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu May 13 04:41:25 EDT 2010

Hi Piotr,

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Piotr Zolnierczuk
<piotr.zolnierczuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is wxPython integration something that I could contribute perhaps? For
> example I would like to have a configurable IPython shell widget that one
> could just "drop" in into an app. The present example - as great as it is -
> has some hard-coded stuff (fonts, etc) that I would like to see being
> configurable. Also the user config that you mention is a great thing to
> improve.
> I will check the latest sources and see how can one make things better.

Absolutely! As you may have seen, part of the reason we want to push
0.11 out even if it's a bit rough around the edges, is to start
working on implementing interfaces that all share more code than up
until now.  With the SOC students working on a cleaner architecture
and the new component machinery we have in place, there's a sensible
foundation on which to build consistent frontends.

Currently we have the 'small and light' ipythonx widget that Gael
wrote and the more featureful wxipython that Laurent wrote, but these
share very little.  Having someone work on a Wx-based tool that gets
the best of these and is developed on the updated apis we now have
would be fantastic.